AJUSD "PRIDE POINTS"
- One of the first Districts in Arizona to offer One-to-One technology at the Junior High School level
- Curriculum partnership with Beyond Textbooks offers a teaching and learning framework, as well as an online resource and collaborative community for teacher support
- Project-Based Learning that uses real-world problems to promote application vs. regurgitation
- Makerspaces are incorporated into each of the K-6 elementary schools in support of STEM/STEAM learning
- "Enrichment" and "Remediation" opportunities encourage students who have mastered the standard being taught to move on to higher levels of learning, while providing tutoring and support to those students who need additional help
- College credit courses offered on the AJHS campus
- AJHS offers six Advanced Placement (AP) and five Honors courses
- First district in Arizona to offer embedded Career & Technical Education (CTE) courses on the high school campus via partnership with East Valley Institute of Technology (EVIT); every 10th grade student is required to take one CTE course before graduation
- Four-day work/school week implemented as an incentive to attract and retain experienced teachers and staff
AJUSD partners with Beyond Textbooks (BT) for curriculum. BT provides a framework of standards and a calendar for sequencing and coordination, along with a network of more than 100 school districts across AZ and neighboring states. This network allows thousands of teachers to collaborate and share effective lesson plans, exercises, and best practices, all of which adhere to the BT framework. "Enrichment" and "Remediation" are a part of the BT design, encouraging students who have mastered the standard being taught to move on to higher levels of learning, while providing additional support to those students who need it.
Transparency and fiscal accountability are critical in public education, and AJUSD is proud to have earned the Association of School Business Officials' Certificate of Excellence (COE) in Financial Reporting for 25 consecutive years. The COE honors school districts that demonstrate excellence and best practices in financial reporting.
The AJUSD fleet was awarded as "Fleet of the Year" by the Arizona Department of Environmental Quality (ADEQ)
AJUSD earned an Environmental Excellence Award after achieving a 19% cost savings in 36 months by changing employee habits and energy use awareness.
The AJUSD Governing Board, administration, and staff recognize the importance of a stable home environment to success in the classroom. From this knowledge and concern, Project HELP emerged more than 30 years ago to offer assistance to AJUSD students and families in need of a helping hand. Project HELP continues to this day, 100% funded by donations.
AJUSD recently received the Empowerment Systems' Community Impact Award, recognizing their partnership and collaboration with the Arizona School of Dentistry & Oral Health (A.T. Still University) to provide dental services to underserved students in the district.
Individual School Awards include:
- The AJHS NJROTC has been recognized as one of the top units in the country, earning the designation of "Distinguished Unit with Academic Honors," for 11 straight years; AJHS has earned the ranking of, “Military Honor School” for their efforts and has the authority to recommend students to West Point or other top military academies
- State Baseball Champions in 2016 (AJHS)
- Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) Junior American Citizens contest –National First Place Award for “Project Pencils” community service/economics project (Desert Vista Elementary)
- Best Buddies International – First Place, “Outstanding Chapter” Award (Cactus Canyon Junior High - Special Education)
- Marching Band, Jazz Band, and Choirs consistently score “Excellent” ratings in State competitions (AJHS & CCJH)
- United Blood Services – Hank Aaron Division Award earned for eight years straight by Student Council for the most productive blood drive among schools with 1200-1500 students (AJHS)
- Arizona Association of Junior High Student Councils (AAJHSC) – Master Council Award (CCJH)
- Arizona State Student Council Association Outstanding Council of Distinction Award (AJHS)